Members of journalists’ trade unions and associations from the fifteen ECOWAS countries and Mauritania have organized themselves into a professional body known as the West African Journalists Association (WAJA).
Visit the WAJA website
Its headquarters are situated in Dakar, Senegal. The aim of WAJA is to provide a common platform and meeting point for West African journalist groupings to carry out joint actions that contribute to the attainment of freedom of expression and the free and uncensored flow of information.
WAJA objectives are:
- Respect for fundamental human rights including respect for freedom of expression and freedom of the press
- Improvement of access to information and its circulation
- Skilled, knowledgeable and ethical journalists who carry out their work without fear
- Improvement of working conditions of journalists
- Unity, solidarity and cooperation among journalists at the national, regional and international levels
- Strong links with media organisations and other stakeholders – government, non-governmental organizations, inter-governmental organizations, human rights institutions at the national, regional and global levels
- Peaceful societies that tolerate each other and co-exist harmoniously in spite of ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, physical, age, political and other differences;
- Democratic societies where the rights of all are respected and maintained.